Saturday 18 February 2012

Choc chunk breakfast cookie

I love the weekend mornings…all the more because I can spend a little longer in my PJ’s, spend a little longer pondering how to fill the day, spend a little longer contemplating breakfast…..

Mmmm….Saurday morning breakfast! Today we have another new twist on my oats (you know I love oats, right?!) This breakfast snack (or any time of day snack) was inspired by this recipe by Ashley at the Edible Perspective, such a perfectly simple concept and with a few tweaks of my own I was ready to roll.

Please let me introduce  the ‘Choc Chunk Breakfast Cookie’

A super speedy, healthy but ever so slightly indulgent breakfast cookie….made in minutes. Ticks all the boxes, right? You could of course double or triple this recipe and form into two or three patties but for me the one was enough to fill me up and give me a morning boost (until my next snack in a couple of hours!)

This cookie is soft and ‘cake’ like with a lovely chewy moistness and contrasts of the chunky nuts and melted chocolate adding to the cakeyness. Without the chocolate it might be  a little dryer so feel free to add a tsp of oil to the mixture if this is more your thing.

You could make this recipe with other fruit and nut combos and omit the chocolate chunks if you were wanting to be really virtuous, (I am planning on testing this out soon) but for me the melty chocolate really hits the spot… and it is the weekend after all. The recipe below contains no additional fats (other than the choc chunks and good fats in the nuts,  and with its whole grains it’s still healthy and filling…so go ahead and enjoy your chocolate moment and start your weekend with a (chocolatey) smile!

If you're already done with breakfast and fancy a super speedy mid morning snack....treat yoursef to another little indulgence of the microwave variety....may be my chocolate mug cake or rasberry cheesecake will give you a bit of inspriation.

Right, better get on (and out of my PJ’s) I have lots of plans to investigate today, too soon to give anything away but I will hopefully be able to fill you in on all the happenings in a few weeks time!


Recipe: Choc chunk breakfast cookie

Makes one fat cookie

Ingredients

¼ cup oats
2 tbs buckwheat flour (other flours would probably be fine too)
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tbs ground flax
Ground cinnamon and vanilla extract to taste (approx. ½ tsp each)
1 tbs choc chunks
1 tbs chopped nuts or your choice
1 tbs agave or maple syrup
3 tbs soy yoghurt (or regular yoghurt for non vegan)

Method

Mix and mash all ingredients together well to form a thick sticky ball of dough. Roughly flatten the ball with your palms and place on a small microwaveable plate.

Cook on full powder in the microwave for approx. 1 minute. Press with your finger and if it springs back and there are no visibly sticky bits you’re done! Eat immediately whilst chocolate is melty!



For tips and info on recipe measurement conversions, ingredients, substitutions and the methods behind how I do things.... check out my 'baking tips' tab at the top of the page.

20 comments:

  1. Oh, my, goodness. I am making this first thing tomorrow.... or maybe I'll just make it for dinner because that looks TOO good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica, hope it turned out well! I really want to make one for my breakfast everyday now. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Ooooh these look good! Maybe for breakfast tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can be better than a fat cookie for breakfast? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep...nothing is better than a fat cookie for breakfast!! :-)

      Delete
  4. any way to substitute the yogurt? I have none and I want to make this first thing tomorrow morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Glory, you would probably be fine to just substitute with a little bit of any type of milk to simply make everything stick together, try 1-2 tbs of milk (just enough to stick). I haven't tried it this way but don't see why it wouldn't work. Good luck, let me know how it turns out.

      Delete
    2. It came out great! I did 2 tbs of milk but it came out a little bit wet so I just added a tiny bit more flour and it worked. 1 min perfect cooking time. Thanks so much for a quick healthy alternative to mug cakes :D

      Delete
    3. Yay- i'm so pleased! I actually made another version myself for dessert this evening, this time with fresh blueberries! Mmmm.

      Delete
  5. Oh my yum!!!! :) Looks delicious! Love that 2nd to last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. any suggestion for how to cook the cookie without a microwave? I'm thinking oven? I don't use a microwave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Becky, Oven should be fine, I'm not sure how long it would take to cook but i would guess somewhere between 8-10 minutes, keep an eye on it and when the outside looks as though its cooked and just turning golden it's done. The inside will still be lovely and soft so you don't want to over cook it. I'd lay it on baking parchment so you can more easily slide it off on to a plate since it would be a 'hard' cookie. let me know how you get on and how long it took to cook if you do try it!

      Delete
    2. Hey Jo. I tried the oven and it worked, but I think I may have over cooked it a bit. I put it in for about 8 minutes, but the outside got a little too hard and the inside was definitely not gooey but not as hard as the outside. I also substituted the choco chips for raisins since I didn't have any, but next time I'm going for the chocolate :)

      Delete
    3. Hey becky, I'm glad it worked, it was difficult to know how long to cook it for, and at least you know for another time. thanks for letting me know!

      Delete
  7. I just made this with sliced almonds and it's so good! so easy. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather, Yes its so versatile, glad it worked out for you!

      Delete
  8. Hello! This looks so good, but I don't have any ground flax on me. Can I omit it or is there another substitution for it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alicia, Thanks for your comment. You could substitute chia seeds or if you don't have chia, you could try using a little mashed banana (approx half a banana) and slightly less of the yogurt and you should be fine. It may be ok to simply omit the flax but it may not bind so nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just made this with soymilk instead of yogurt and chia instead of flax and added banana. It was awesome, thank you for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bridget, so glad it worked out well for you! It is such a versatile recipe.

      Delete

Comments make me smile....go on!

you may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...